Our house is located in one of the 144 New Villages in Poland. Ours is on the border of the Welski Landscape Park, where the Wel flows as swiftly as a mountain river. The house is located on a hill and its windows overlook the Rumian Lake. As the old maps show, it is about a hundred years old. We tried to create an atmosphere so that everyone could feel in it as before, while on vacation with a loved one.
And the beginning of it all was this:
- Good morning, cold beer?
- Good, good! It must be cold!
- That's OK then. Enjoy your meal!
- On vacation?
- As if, weekly vacation, I'm here every weekend ...
- There is nothing like our lakes. Fish will be caught, peace and quiet, not like in those big cities… And where are you from?
- Well, I guess from here, I will not be cut out for Warsaw, let them build whatever they want there. I am from Nowa Wieś, near Szczuplin.
- So you say, I will tell you something: I once read about a Prussian legend, and it was all Prussian once, East Prussia was, German tenement houses, [...].
- What about this legend?
- The legend is about the Sorceress of the Lakes, who sails in an alder boat and with threads of Indian summer entwine the hearts of those who come here. People once associated with Masuria, entangled with threads, will never get rid of this feeling and will always come back here. They are simply entangled in Masuria ...
- Hmmm, I heard about it once and also read it, but I completely did not realize that my wife and I had already met the Sailor of the Lakes ...
- And you see, right!
- True true. Okay, I'll be going.
- Nice holiday.
- Thank you and see you soon!
Our dream came true in February 2012, when we signed the notarial deed and became the legal owners of our beautiful house. We found a place on earth that would be a respite from the rushed life in Warsaw, a springboard to escape to after a crazy work week, where we would live differently. Calmer, fuller and more beautiful. When friends came to us to admire our "beautiful" property, they asked - "Which one is the house, this barn or the one next door?", "There is plenty of work ahead of you", "You have to demolish it all and put it back together". We thought - Darn, are we the only ones who see a beautiful house here and are we delighted with every plank on the floor, every beam on the ceiling? Maybe nothing can be done about it. But you have to think, make plans, raise money and act. And so we did. ... we thought, made plans, collected money and started operating in May 2013. We are in 2021 and our story has just begun, and each guest who visits us is writing its next chapter ...